Thursday, October 18, 2012

Levi

     When Sterling died I felt so alone. I had never really met anyone who lost a child before. I knew they existed but they were always "those people" that I hardly knew and whose stories broke my heart. I would send them a card, pray for them, maybe even donate some money for them. Yet I never really knew them. Now here I was, one of them. As they will tell you we belong to a club you never want to be a part of. A club that you hope never gets a new member. Yet I know now this club is huge, it spans the globe, it knows no race or socioeconomic status. And the hardest part to swallow? New members are added every day.

       Being a grieving parent isn't easy. It can be downright ugly. I knew early on I could let that pain and ugliness take me one of two ways. I could either decide to honor my son's short life or I could choose to give up and be bitter and angry that he was gone. I chose to honor Sterling and I searched out others who felt the same way. In doing so I have met some amazing parents of some amazing children. These parents have taken their pain and have turned it into action. That action can be choosing to get up each day and go back out into the world, working with our federal government to change laws and bring awareness so what took her child will never take another, making screenings that could have saved her child be mandatory to save others. So many amazing stories. So many ways to honor our children.

       One of those I met is Ellie Collom. Her 3 1/2 year old son Levi was healthy, happy and full of life. He died March 18, 2012 suddenly, unexpectedly and they still don't know why. Its called SUDC (Sudden Unexplained Death in Children). Levi's family has decided to honor his short life by building an exhibit called  Levi's Adventure Trail which will be an interactive outdoor exhibit in Levi's honor at the Discovery Playhouse Children's Museum in Missouri. They have been raising funds to do this and I have followed their journey on Facebook. I am humbled and amazed at their efforts. I know this will be built and I know this family will continue to do amazing things in Levi's name. I feel blessed to have met Ellie, even if its only been on Facebook. Please take a look at the beautiful Levi and be amazed at the wonderful things his family and friends are doing in his name. https://www.facebook.com/levistephencollomfund

     I have no idea where Sterling's legacy will take me. One thing I know is true, our children are loved and our children are missed. Always and Forever.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment